In terms of heavy metal music, some countries have produced a surprisingly high number of bands per capita. These places have become magnets of metal talent in recent years, contributing significantly to the evolution of this art form. In this article, we’re going to explore the countries with the highest metal bands per capita, and we’re going to look at what makes them so successful in producing loud, passionate, and unapologetic music. We will take a world tour of the most metal countries on earth, beginning with Scandinavia’s black metal scene and then going down to Latin America’s Thrash Metal Revolution.
- There is a strong concentration of metal bands per capita in Scandinavia and Northern European countries, with particular emphasis on Finland, Norway, and Sweden. These countries produced many influential bands in different metal subgenres, such as black metal, death metal, and power metal.
- Finland plays a significant role in classical metal and folk metal. The Finnish metal reputation has grown internationally through bands like Nightwish, Children of Bodom, and Finntroll.
- In particular, Norway produces a great black metal scene that has attracted bands such as Mayhem, Emperor, Burzum, and Darkthrone. The country’s low population is giving rise to a fairly large number of famous metal bands.
- Sweden has a melodic death metal scene led by bands like At the Gates, In Flames, and Dark Tranquillity. Some of the most influential metal bands, like Hammerfall and Sabaton, were also formed in this country.
- The United States, with a large population, has great numbers of metal bands in total, but they may not be as high per person compared to smaller countries. Nevertheless, America has produced a number of influential heavy metal bands among various subgenres, such as Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, and Lamb Of God.
- Often, Black Sabbath is referred to as a pioneer of heavy metal. The first true heavy metal album is considered to be their self-titled debut album, released in 1970.
- The band Metallica is among the best-selling metal bands of all time. Their album “Metallica” sold over 48.5 million copies, also known as “The Black Album“.
What is the history of heavy metal music?
Heavy metal is regarded as a rock music genre that includes a series of related styles that are intense, virtuosic, and powerful. It’s driven by an aggressive sound from distorted electric guitars, which is probably the most commercially successful genre of rock music. The emergence of bands such as Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Led Zeppelin in the late 1960s and early 1970s has been able to explain the evolution of heavy metal. Since then, heavy metal has evolved into many sub-genres, such as thrash metal, death metal, power metal, and more.
What are the most popular metal bands in the world?
There are a lot of popular heavy metal bands in the world. Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold are some of history’s most famous, influential rock bands. Other great metal bands include Rammstein, Scorpions, Lamb of God, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Volbeat.
What are the 10 countries with the most metal bands per capita?
Metal Bands Per 100k: 84.50
Total Metal Bands: 4683
Finland has been regarded as the “capital of metal”. The emphasis on music education is appreciated in this country. The Finnish people are characterized by their sisu, or “grit,” as well as their tremendous intellect. Thus, it is not surprising that Finland has the world’s highest metal bands per capita and enjoys a high level of good governance. With this level of excitement, it’s no surprise that Finnish metal is immensely popular not just within the country but also among a global music audience.
What are some popular Finnish metal bands?
There is a pretty good scene of metal in Finland, with lots of talented bands. Children of Bodom, Amorphis, Beherit, Nightwish, Turisas, Apocalyptica, and Finntroll are some of Finland’s most popular and influential metal bands.
What are some popular music festivals in Finland?
In Finland, there are a lot of popular music festivals that cater to a variety of tastes. The Ruisrock festival, which takes place in the scenic area of Ruissalo, Turku, and brings together nearly 100,000 music lovers every year, is one of the most popular festivals. Saaristo Open, a two-day music festival taking place in the spectacular landscape of the Turku Archipelago, is another popular one. One of Finland’s longest-running and most famous music concerts is the Ilosaarirock concert which took place at Joensuu Laulurinne. One of Finland’s most popular summer events, the Seinäjoki Tango Festival, is visited by more than 100,000 people each year. The Pori Jazz is also a popular music festival, thanks to its wide variety of musical performers.
Metal Bands Per 100k: 52.11
Total Metal Bands: 194
Iceland has a thriving metal scene, with numerous high-quality acts emerging in recent years.
What are some popular metal bands in Iceland?
Some of the top metal bands from Iceland include Misþyrming, Sinmara, Sólstafir, HAM, and Svartidauði.
What are some popular music festivals in Iceland?
Iceland is home to a thriving music scene, and the country hosts many festivals throughout the year. Eistnaflug Metal Festival is one of the most famous metal festivals in Iceland. It is taking place at the East Fjord of Iceland and has a very good lineup of Heavy Metal bands.
Iceland Airwaves and Secret Solstice Festival are among the most popular music festivals in Iceland. Iceland Airwaves festival takes place every November in downtown Reykjavik and consists of a mixture of musical genres. The Secret Solstice Festival takes place during June, with 72 hours of music, nature, and midnight sun.
Metal Bands Per 100k: 51.94
Total Metal Bands: 5410
Sweden has a long history of metal bands and has produced many successful artists over the years. Sweden has a variety of subgenres in metal music, such as stoner rock, alternative metal, doom metal, death metal, progressive metal, folk metal, gothic metal, glam power metal, dark metal, and more.
What are some popular metal bands in Sweden?
Here are some of Sweden’s most popular metal bands, including Candlemass, Meshuggah, Amon Amarth, and Bathory.
What are some popular music festivals in Sweden?
In Sweden, there are lots of popular metal festivals that cater to fans of the genre. Sweden Rock Festival, Northern Rockfest, Gefle metal festival, House of Metal, and Subkult festivals are some of the most popular.
Metal Bands Per 100k: 41.83
Total Metal Bands: 16
What are some popular metal bands in Liechtenstein?
The two most popular metal bands are Elis and Erben der Schöpfung in Liechtenstein.
What are some popular music festivals in Liechtenstein?
Every year many music festivals held in Liechtenstein. Among the popular music festivals in Liechtenstein are Guitar Days, which take place every year. The metal and rock music festival Wavejam Openair, which takes place annually in Balzers, and the 74th Liechtenstein Association Music Festival, which takes place annually in Ruggell.
Metal Bands Per 100k: 38.74
Total Metal Bands: 2095
Norway is known for its metal bands, especially black metal. In Norway, there are a lot of metal bands that span all sorts of subgenres, such as avant-garde metal, death metal, doom metal, folk metal, and more.
What are some popular metal bands in Norway?
Some of the most popular Norwegian metal bands include Enslaved, Immortal, Thorns, In The Woods…, Darkthrone, Ulver, Arcturus, Mayhem, Wardruna, Shining, and Emperor.
What are some popular music festivals in Norway?
Norway has a number of popular music festivals. The Oya Festival in Oslo, Saint Lucia’s Day, Nordlysfestivalen in Tromso, The Peer Gynt Festival, Gladmat in Stavanger, and The Polar Jazz Festival are some of them.
6. Faroe Islands
Metal Bands Per 100k: 28.54
Total Metal Bands: 14
The Faroe Islands have a few metal bands. “Tyr”, which was founded in 1998, is one of them. Their music is a mixture of heavy metal with songs from Nordic folklore, history, and mythology. There is another band called “Sic”.
What are some popular music festivals in the Faroe Islands?
There are a number of music festivals taking place each year in the Faroe Islands. There are many different kinds of festivals, from Faroese folk music to Pop, Doom Metal to Country. Fjarðafestivalurin, a Christian music festival Sørvágs Country & Blues Festival; and Summartónar, a festival of classical and contemporary music, including jazz and experimental music, are some of these festivals.
Metal Bands Per 100k: 25.25
Total Metal Bands: 17
Guernsey, situated 27 miles (43 kilometers west of the Cotentin Peninsula in Normandy, is the second largest island in the Channel Islands Metal music is very popular on this island. There are 17 metal bands on this island.
There are lots of festivals and concerts taking place in Guernsey. From weekend-long music festivals to traditional Guernsey events like fayres and local shows, to heritage, walking festivals, and cuisine, and even live music and markets in parks, squares, and along the beachfront, there’s always something on this island, you can explore. For a comprehensive listing of arts and music events throughout the Bailiwick of Guernsey, see the What’s On calendar published by the Guernsey Arts Foundation.
Metal Bands Per 100k: 22.70
Total Metal Bands: 2421
Greece has a strong and lively metal scene, and it’s well-known for producing many metal bands over the years.
What are some popular metal bands in Greece?
Greece has many popular metal bands. Some of the best metal bands crushing it in Athens and beyond include Rotting Christ, Necromantia, Varathron, Suicidal Angels, Septicflesh, Macabre Omen, Firewind / Gus G, Kawir, Zemial/Agatus, and Sacral Rage.
What are some popular music festivals in Greece?
In Greece, you can enjoy a lot of popular music festivals. There are also some popular festivals, such as Rockwave Festival, which is Greece’s biggest music festival that takes place during a long weekend in July, and Athens Epidaurus Festival, where an annual cultural festival goes on all summer.
Metal Bands Per 100k: 20.52
Total Metal Bands: 1202
Denmark’s metal scene is robust and enthusiastic, with a dedicated fan base that supports both local and international bands. There are a lot of Denmark metal bands in the various subgenres, including black metal, death metal, folk metal, glam metal, Industrial Metal, Power Metal, Progressive Metal, and Thrash Metal. Denmark has produced some successful metal bands that have achieved not just national but also global recognition.
What are some popular metal bands in Denmark?
Some of the most famous metal bands in Denmark include Pretty Maids, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, and Artillery. Other popular Danish metal bands include Volbeat and Mercenary.
What are some popular music festivals in Denmark?
There are a number of popular music festivals in Denmark. Roskilde Festival, Smukfest, North Side Festival, Copenhell, Tinderbox, and Copenhagen jazz festival are some of the best known.
Metal Bands Per 100k: 18.88
Total Metal Bands: 251
Metal music is very popular in Estonia. Metsatöll, a folk-metal band that combines run-song and traditional folk instruments with metal, is one of the many Estonian metal bands. Raud-ants is another Estonian folk metal band.
What are some popular metal bands in Estonia?
Some of the most popular metal bands include Ceremonial Perfection, Manatark, Taak, Metsatöll, Neoandertals, Sorts, Herald, Tankist, Urt, and Whispering Forest.
What are some popular music festivals in Estonia?
Estonia has a lot of popular music festivals. Some of them include the Juu Jaab Festival, a music festival that has been celebrated for over 21 years, the Haapsalu Tchaikovsky Festival, the Into The Valley Festival, the Hard Rock Camp, and the Saaremaa Opera Days. The Viljandi Folk Music Festival, to take place every July on the grounds of the fortress and center of Viljandi, is a popular music festival that also focuses on folk music from Estonia.
Top 10 Countries With the Most Heavy Metal Bands
1. United States —- (35805) Metal Bands
2. Germany —- (12680) Metal Bands
3. Italy —- (7558) Metal Bands
4. Brazil —-(7490) Metal Bands
5. UK—- (6650) Metal Bands
6. France —- (6172) Metal Bands
7. Sweden —- (5410) Metal Bands
8. Canada —– (5394) Metal Bands
9. Russia —- (5282) Metal Bands
10. Spain —- (4708) Metal Bands
1. What are the most popular Mongolian metal bands?
1. Hurd (Хурд)
2. Altan Urag (Алтан Ураг)
3. Nine Treasures (九宝)
4. Tengger Cavalry
5. Ego Fall (吹响号角)
2. What are the most popular Brazilian metal bands?
Some of the most popular ones include Angra, Krisiun, Holocausto, Torture Squad, and Hibria.
3. Who are the bands in the Metal Hellsinger?
Two Feathers recorded the music, with vocals provided by Matt Heafy (Trivium), Alissa White-Gluz (Arch Enemy), Randy Blythe (Lamb of God), Tatiana Shmayluk (Jinjer), Serj Tankian (System of a Down), and a host of other familiar figures.
4. Lorna Shore: Lorna Shore is an American deathcore band formed in 2009 in New Jersey. The band’s current lineup is guitarists Adam De Micco and Austin Archey, rhythm guitarist Andrew OConnor, singer Will Ramos, and bass player Michael Yager. The band is most famous for their 2021 single “To the Hellfire”. Psalms (2015), Flesh Coffin (2017), Immortal (2020), and Pain Remains (2022) are their four studio albums. Four EPs have also been released by the band.
5. Parkway Drive: Parkway Drive, formed in 2003, is an Australian metalcore band out of Byron Bay, New South Wales. They’ve released seven studio albums, one EP, two DVDs, a split album, and a book called “Ten Years of Parkway Drive.” The band has reached the number one position on the Australian ARIA charts in their latest three releases, Ire (2015), Reverence (2018), and Darker Still (2022).
6. Alestorm: Alestorm is a Scottish heavy metal band from Perth, Scotland. Their music is expressed by a pirate theme, which has resulted in many critics and fans calling them “pirate metal” bands. Lead vocalist/keytarist Christopher Bowes, bassist Gareth Murdock, drummer Peter Alcorn, keyboardist/harsh vocalist Elliot Vernon, and guitarist Máté “Bobo” Bodor make up the current lineup. They have released one live album, seven studio albums, and five EPs.
7. What are the most popular female metal bands?
Some of the most popular female metal bands include Kittie, Vixen, Evanescence, Halestorm, Arch Enemy, Nightwish, Within Temptation, and Lacuna Coil.
8. What are the most popular German heavy metal bands?
Some of the most popular German heavy metal bands include Scorpions, Accept, Rammstein, Kreator, Helloween, and Tankard.
9. What are the best gothic metal bands?
Some of the best gothic metal bands include The Vision Bleak, Lacuna Coil, Lacrimosa, Paradise Lost, Sirenia, Tristania, My Dying Bride, and Type O Negative. These bands seamlessly blend doom metal and gothic rock to create a heavy sound that’s one of the darkest brands of metal.
Here is a full list of most metal bands per capita by country, according to Encyclopaedia Metallum:
|Rank||Country||Metal Bands per 100k||Total Metal Bands|
|48||Bosnia & Herz.||4.78||156|
|79||Hong Kong SAR||0.59||44|
Lastly, the countries with the highest percentage of metal bands in their respective societies have contributed significantly to the development of Heavy Metal, developing some of the greatest and biggest band names ever. These countries have produced a distinct metal culture, inspiring generations of fans and musicians worldwide. The global music landscape is still shaped by the passion and creativity of these countries’ metal scenes, which will continue to make them a permanent part of musical history for years to come.